Enabling WAN Insights
To start using WAN Insights, you must have an existing network that is based on Cisco SD-WAN with vAnalytics turned on. Review the prerequisites below and then see How to Activate ThousandEyes WAN Insights for instructions on self-service onboarding.
Any Cisco SD-WAN customer with DNA Advantage or Premier license entitlement is eligible to use WAN Insights. A self-service WAN Insights activation button is available through the Cisco vAnalytics interface.
ThousandEyes WAN Insights only supports 6 application categories at a time, as defined in vManage. Applications within each category will be measured against the same quality thresholds.
You don’t need to have a pre-existing ThousandEyes license in order to activate WAN Insights. When a SD-WAN customer activates WAN Insights, they are provisioned with a ThousandEyes organization that has access to the WAN Insights portion of the ThousandEyes user interface. A ThousandEyes license is assigned as part of the onboarding process.
Prior to activating and using WAN Insights, customers should do the following:
- Activate vAnalytics on the SD-WAN overlay as described on the Cisco vAnalytics page section titled “Onboarding Cisco vAnalytics”. The vAnalytics instance must be in a supported data region, for example the US data region.
- If your users are connecting to SaaS applications via Direct Internet Access (DIA) paths, you must enable Cloud OnRamp (CoR) in your SD-WAN.
- Activate deep packet inspection (DPI), Flexible Netflow (FNF), or SD-WAN Application Intelligence Engine (SAIE) in vManage. Which you use depends on your vManage release version – enable DPI for 20.7.x earlier, or SAIE for 20.8.x and up.
- Any new application profiles and SLA quality thresholds must be pre-configured in vManage.
WAN Insights relies on data from Cisco SD-WAN components including cEdge and vEdge routers, and vSmart, vBond, and vManage controllers. Each of these has its own set of software versions as listed below.
- cEdge: 16.12 and higher
- vEdge: 18.4 and higher
- cEdge: 17.3.3 and higher
- vEdge: 20.1 and higher
- Controllers (vSmart, vBond, vManage) : 20.3 or newer
There is no specific version requirement for vAnalytics, other than that it is enabled and is generating historical data for WAN Insights.
This documentation is written for seasoned network and IT teams, in particular individuals who already possess expertise in Cisco SD-WAN networking and the use of Cisco’s Application-Aware Routing (AAR) feature. We assume that readers of this documentation are already knowledgeable and proficient in the use of Cisco SD-WAN solutions to support large enterprise networks.